The UNESCO Chair in Communication at the University of Texas at Austin works in combination with the Knight Chair in Journalism.
Professor Rosental Calmon Alves was appointed to the UNESCO Chair in 2003.
The emphasis of the joint program has been in areas such as:
• International journalism in a globalized world, including the flow of international news, the work of foreign correspondents, and the creation of a “global journalism” that seeks a planetary audience, etc.
• Journalism in Latin America, emphasizing the struggle for the establishment or consolidation of free press, the role of journalism in democratization processes, the quality of journalism, etc.
• The impact of Internet on society in general, but especially on journalism, emphasizing the emergence, all over the world, of a new genre of journalism that takes advantage of the capabilities of the World Wide Web.
Professor Alves is also the founder and director of the Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas, created in 2002, thanks to a generous donation by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. The center has benefited thousands of journalists in Latin America and the Caribbean with training and capacity building projects. More information about that work can be found in English, Spanish and Portuguese at http://knightcenter.utexas
Another highlight of the joint program UNESCO Chair/Knight Chair is the International Symposium on Online Journalism that Professor Alves has been organizing annually since 1999. The event attracts the participation of editors and scholars from around the world for a two-day conference in Austin, Texas. Besides the industry related sessions, the symposium has also a research component, including a call for papers. A blind-review panel composed of professors of several universities selects the best research papers for presentation during the symposium. The proceedings of the event, including agenda, video and transcripts, are regularly published at http://journalism.utexas.edu/
EDITORIAL BOARDS, ACADEMIC JOURNALS
- Founder and co-editor of #ISOJ – The Official Journal of the International Symposium on Online Journalism at the University of Texas at Austin, launched in April 2011.
- Member of the editorial board of the International Communication Research Journal, published by the Association of Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) (since 2010).
- Member of the International Editorial Board of Revista Iberoamericana de Comunicación (Iberian American Journal on Communication) published by the Universidad Iberoamericana, in Mexico City, Mexico (since 2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Global Mass Communication, published by Marquette Journals, Spokane, Washington.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the academic journal Australian Journalism Review, published by the School of Communication, University of South Australia, Magill, Australia (since 2006).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Cuadernos de Información, an academic journal published by the College of Communication of the Catholic University of Chile (since 2007).
- Member of the “Scientific Committee” of the 2nd International Congress on Blogs and Journalism on the Web, held on April 25-26, 2007 at the School of Information Sciences at the Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Editorial Board of Pauta Geral –Revista de Jornalismo, an academic journal published by Calandra and Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil (Since 2005).
BOARDS OF DIRECTORS & ADVISORY COUNCILS
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Media Development Loan Fund’s “News Digital Fund” (venture capital investment fund for news startup companies), New York, NY (since 2011).
- Member of the board of directors of the International News Safety Institute (INSI), North America (since 2011).
- Member of the board of directors of the foundation Center for Investigative Journalism(CIPER), Santiago, Chile (since 2011).
- Member of the Board of Directors of Texas Tribune, a non-profit news organization based in Austin, Texas (since 2009).
- Member of the board of the Investigative Reporting Workshop at American University School of Communication, Washington DC (since 2008).
- Member of the Journalism Advisory Committee of John S. and James L. Knight Foundation (since 2007).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Inter American Press Association’s Press Institute that organizes courses and seminars for journalists and media executives in Latin America (since 2008).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the International Knight Fellowship program of the Washington-based International Center for Journalists (since 2007).
- Member of the board of directors of Global Voices Online, an organization created at Harvard University Law School’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society that works with citizen media from around the world (since 2007).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University(since 2006).
- Member of the board of the London-based Media Program of the Open Society Foundations (since 2006).
- Member of the board of ORBICOM, the global network of UNESCO Chairs in Communication, based in Quebec, Canada (since 2004)
- Member of the Advisory Council of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists at the Center for Public Integrity (since 1998)
- Member of Graduate Studies Committee of the Department of Journalism, UT-Austin, September (since 1996)
- Member of the Board of Directors of CELAP (Center for Latin American Journalism) based in Panama City, Panama (since 1997).
CONFERENCES, WORSHOPS AND PRESENTATIONS
ACADEMIC YEAR 2011/12
- The New Media Ecosystem Makes Research More Important than Ever. Keynote presentation at the 34th Brazilian Congress of Communication Science – INTERCOM 2011, in Recife, Brazil, September 4, 2011.
- Ethical Challenges Created by the Digital Revolution and the Cybermedia. Keynote presentation at the 5th National Congress of Communication, at the Catholic University, in Asuncion, Paraguay, October 21, 2011.
- Professional and Ethical Challenges for Journalists in the New Media Ecosystem.Keynote presentation at the 6th International Congress of the Argentine Journalism Forum (FOPEA), in Buenos Aires, Argentina, November 5, 2011.
- The future of Information in Latin America: Power Struggles in a New Media Environment. Panel presentation at the conference “Freedom of the Press in Latin America, at Harvard University’s Carr Center for Human Rights Policies and Rockefeller Center for Latin America, November 18, 2011.
- The Digital Revolution and the New Media Ecosystem. Special lecture at the Ceará Federal University, in Fortaleza, Ceará state, Brazil, November 24, 2011.
- The Re-Invention of the Newspaper for the New Media Ecosystem. Special presentation for all journalists and media executives of O Povo, a leading newspaper in Fortaleza, Ceará state, Brazil, November 23, 2011.
- The New Media Ecosystem and the case of Latin America. Keynote presentation at the annual meeting of the Freedom of the Press Organizations’ Coordinating Committee, in Miami, Florida, December 8, 2011.
- Journalism in the New Media Ecosystem Created by the Digital Revolution, keynote presentation at the 7th Congress of the Portuguese Association for Communication Science (SOPCOM), in Porto, Portugal, December 16, 2011.
- Opportunities and Challenges for Journalists in the New Media Ecosystem. Keynote presentation at the 13th Journalism Congress in Huesca, Spain, March 16, 2012.
- Investigative Journalism and South America’s Unanswered Demands. Presentation at the conference The New South American Landscape and the Media, in Florida International University College of Communication, in Miami, Florida, March 26, 2012.
- From the Scarcity of the Desert to the Abundance of the Forest: The New Media Ecosystem. Presentation at the “Casa do Saber,” a cultural center for the community, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 6, 2012.
- Super Session: Page One and the Future of Journalism. Co-presentation with New York Times’ columnist David Carr at the 7th International Congress of Investigative Journalism, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, July 14, 2012.
- Audiences and Communities on the Internet in Brazil and in the United States. Keynote presentation at the 5th Brazil-US Colloquium on Communication Studies, at DePaul University, in Chicago, Illinois, August 7, 2012.
- Teaching Journalism in Developing Countries and Emerging Democracies: The Case of UNESCO’s Model Curricula. Presentation at pre-conference workshop at AEJMC conference in Chicago, Illinois, August 8, 2012.
- A Century of Journalism and News Media in Latin America and the Caribbean. Panel presentation at AEJMC conference in Chicago, Illinois, August 9, 2012.
- 100 Years of International Journalism & Communication: The case of Latin America.Panel presentation at AEJMC conference in Chicago, Illinois, August 10, 2012.
Prof. Rosental Calmon Alves
University of Texas at Austin, USA