UNESCO Chair in the Information Society
Description and Mandate of the Chair
Within the reported period the work in the main directions of the Chair activities has been successfully continued. Contacts with other educational institutions of Georgia, educational institutions of other countries, organizations of Academy of sciences as well as Georgian business structures which deal with innovative activities in the spheres of scientific interest of the Chair have been expanded. Contacts have been established and negotiations and seminars conducted with institutions of higher education of Azerbaijan, Armenia and countries of the Black Sea basin with the aim of determining the necessity of the Black Sea Virtual University project development, taking into account the specificities, particularities and needs of the countries of this region.
The Chair “Information Society” UNESCO participates in the educational process of the Georgian technical university, but it is not the Chair, which releases specialists. Research and educational works connected with development of new information technologies in education and creation of the Information Society has been declared to be the purpose of the Chair. The permanent staff of the Chair includes: one full member of the Academy of Sciences of Georgia, two professors, two scientific associates, three graduate students and one laboratory assistant. They all work on the public principles, sparing part of their free time to the Chair activities. In case of necessity outside specialists are invited to take part in the developing projects (as a rule they are students, graduate students and employees of the Georgian technical university).
The UNESCO Chair occupies four rooms in the educational building of the Georgian technical university. There is a necessary amount of up-to-date configuration computers at its disposal, which are connected to the Internet and joined into the local network. Within the reported period repair work and re-equipment of the office were carried out, and additional equipment was purchased.
Financing come from the Georgian Technical University.
A program has been developed and a tutorial of the training course “Information and Communication Technologies in the Information society” has been prepared. The basic course “Information Society – basic concepts, conditions and prospects” has been included into the curriculum of the Informatics and Systems of Control Department of the Georgian technical university. Preparatory work within the project of creating the Black Sea Virtual University (BSVU) is continued.
The courses of review lectures on the basic subject of the Chair within the optional studies at the Department of Informatics and Systems of Control of the Georgian Technical University have been made more present day and enriched with new information.
Conferences and Meetings
On May 20, 2006 the Chair “Information Society” UNESCO conducted a national seminar on “Strategy and national features during establishment of the Black Sea basin Virtual University”. Representatives of all leading educational institutions and corresponding scientific organizations took part in the seminar. The following subjects were offered for discussion:
• New information technologies in education;
• Informational support of transition to a new system of higher education;
• Rules of existence in the free information space;
• Forms of expression of national specificity in education and information technologies;
• Connection of educational strategy with State and business demands;
• Problems of continuous education.
In the process of discussion a general opinion was expressed about necessity of Virtual university establishment with indispensable taking into account national specificities of the participating countries.
Publications and Multimedia materials
A book “GLOBALANCE” has been published.
Author: Gocha Chogovadze
Year of publishing: 2006
Number of pages: 119
Languages: Georgian, French, Russian
The book presents various aspects of globalization, assesses main features of this contradictory phenomenon of the present. The book also considers the effects various processes of globalization may possibly have on small countries like Georgia and society including the informational one.
A number of articles have been published in national (Works of Georgian Technical University “Automated systems of control 1 2006, Tbilisi”) and foreign scientific periodicals (Collection of works of Moscow Engineering-Physical Institute scientific conference, Moscow, 2007) on the subjects connected with problems of information society and creation of software for the Virtual university within the OpenSource-project.
a) Towns: Paris, Montpellier – France; Moscow, Saint-Petersburg – Russia; Rome – Italy; Baku – Azerbaijan; Yerevan – Armenia. Mission subjects:
• brief numerous business trips of the Chairman and professors of the Chair;
• student exchange organization;
• exchange of information on the Black Sea Virtual University project development;
• giving lectures on the subject of “modern problems of Information society”
b) Visiting professors:
Jean-Pierre Massue’ (France) – academician of the European Academy of Sciences and Art (Salzburg);
Strizhevskiy Vsevolod Semionovich (Russia) – professor of Moscow Engineering-Physical Institute
The following has been done in the sphere of cooperation with the scientific organizations of Georgia:
The work within the agreement with the Institute of Management Problems of Georgia, Institute of cybernetics of Georgia and Institute of Computational Mathematics of Tbilisi State University about coordination of activities concerning creation of national network of remote education and creation of a single educational area of Georgia. Preparatory activities have been carried out for creating Public Council of Georgia on remote education.
A procedure for obtaining approval of the carried out work by the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia has been started.
Pre-project researches have been carried out together with two Georgian business-organizations (Alta-Computers and Orient-Logic) on development and organization of functioning of single educational area of Georgia. The beginning of realization of the pilot project has been planned for autumn of 2008.
The agreement has been drawn with Moscow Engineering-Physical institute (professor Guseva A.I.) and Moscow State University of Economic, Statistics and Informatics (professor Tikhomirov V.P.) – Russian Federation as well as with Azerbaijan Technical University and Armenian Engineering-Technical university concerning mutual exchange of students, lecturers and specialists in the sphere of e-learning.
An individual work is being carried out with the students engaged on degree thesis and post-graduate students of the Georgian Technical University to actualize their interest to the problems of the remote education. The Chair employees have conducted 6 (six) optional lectures on the e-learning subject for the senior students of the Department of Informatics and Management Systems of the Georgian Technical University.
Necessary work concerning the Chair joining the ORBICOM communication network has been carried out.
- Prepare a post-graduate student on the subject of virtual university software.
- Organize shot-term probation periods (2-3 months) for scientific staff and post-graduate students of the Chair to the leading European institutions of higher education.
- Continue attracting Georgian business structures to the object of the Chair’s work with the aim of raising investments.
- Conduct an international scientific seminar according to the results of negotiations with the countries of the Black Sea basin on the problems of development of Virtual university development project.
- Continue conducting joint seminars and conferences with Academy of Sciences.
- Actuate the participation of the Chair employees at the international conferences on the subjects of their work.
- Organize a research of the use of social networks in Georgia.
- Develop a specification of an integrated model of programming team (CMM+SPICE+CMMI/SW) taking into account the specifics of Georgia.
- Prepare a project of standards profile of the virtual university.
- Carry out research with the aim of preparation the review of the methods of imagining and visualization for Internet-presentation of art ware (visualization of museum valuables).
- Prepare material for publication on the subject of: “Ecosystem structure. Interaction of population. Ecosystem stability criteria. Problem, norms and pathologies in the state of ecosystems”.
- Prepare material for publication on the subject of: “Biosphere power system. Traditional and alternative sources of energy. Problem of raw material and waste utilization.”
- Prepare the first issue of the regular bulletin concerning the news in the sphere of remote education and issue it together with the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia.
- Work out materials for organization of a single educational area in Georgia.
- Implement the campaign of attracting Georgian business structures to financing the Chair activities within the Black Sea Virtual University project.
Progress Report: Period of activities 2005-2006
The Chair has accomplished a significant amount of advocacy, research and networking work, which contributes directly to expanding and strengthening the regional cooperation of the Caucasian countries in the area of the new ICTs.
A series of international seminars were organized on the new challenges and problems generated by the wide introduction and the use of the new communication technologies in the region, thus contributing to the ongoing international debate in general and in the Caucasian region, in particular.
As a result of the conducted regional discussions, there was a shared idea of exploring the idea of creation of a virtual university for the Caucasian countries in response to these new challenges imposed by the NTCs.
Open University of Montpellier (France)
Moscow Physical Engineering Institute (Russian Federation)
Tbilisi State University (Georgia)
Book: « Infornation » (320 p. ISBN5-94559-009-5, 2003) composed of 3 parts:
Information, Society, Men (available in Georgian, Russian, English).